Monday, May 20, 2013

Typewriter donations wanted for WordPlay Cincy

NOTE, June 2017: We do not currently have a need for more common typewriters, as we have a large stock awaiting restoration. If you have a rare or particularly attractive typewriter that you would like to donate to WordPlay Cincy, do please contact me, Richard Polt, as it could become a priority restoration.




This lovely photo by FD Harper showcases The Urban Legend Institute, the quirky curiosity shop that helps to support the kids' tutoring and writing center WordPlay Cincy. Today Ton S., who is briefly in Cincinnati, came to WordPlay with me, and director Libby Hunter treated us to an update on the good things happening here.

As most readers of this blog know, I have a dream volunteer job refurbishing and maintaining typewriters for the kids to use and for sale at The Urban Legend Institute. While the standard typewriters haven't sold yet, the portables have attracted a good deal of attention and 4 or 5 have sold so far. My typewriter cleaning and repair service has also found some customers.

I have a few other typewriters that I'm refurbishing for sale, but we could use more. So ...






7 comments:

  1. If only the good people at Australia Post would wave the $100++ shipping fee and you would be most welcome to two of my three Remington SJ's! What a good cause, I really hope the local area can collectively cough up a couple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! I've donated a few machines to some local schools. Kids love 'em. The Antikey Chop will be glad to donate a few your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How'd I miss this post?

    I'll be searching as I typewriter shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you still accepting typewriters? I have three portables. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will gladly accept them. If you're in the Cincinnati area, you can bring them to 4041 Hamilton Ave. Hours are M-Th 3-6 and Sat 12-4 during the school year. If you're outside the area, send me an e-mail at polt@xavier.edu and we'll figure it out. Thanks!

      Delete